Cheshire’s Salt Story
Includes a visit to the Lion Salt Works, a trip on the Anderton Boat Lift and a river cruise
Discover Cheshire’s salt-producing history at the Lion Salt Works before seeing how the salt was transported away from the mines at the Anderton boat lift, which is one of only two working boat lifts in the UK and lifts boats the 50ft between the Trent and Mersey Canal and the River Weaver.
What your Day Trip Includes:
- Meet and Greet Service at Manchester Piccadilly Railway Station
Meet our representative at The Mill and receive your train tickets and a welcome pack containing your itinerary, payment vouchers, maps and travel tips.
- Return Train Travel from Manchester to Northwich
Enjoy a relaxing journey through the Cheshire countryside to the village of Northwich.
- Taxi transfer between attractions
Meet your pre-booked taxi at Northwich station for the short journey to Lion Salt Works. Pre-booked taxis will also take you to the Anderton Boat Lift and back to Northwich Station.
- Lion Salt Works
The Lion Salt Works reopened in 2015 after a £10 million project to regenerate the last open-pan salt making site. Discover how the Salt Works operated and learn about the impact of salt of salt on mid-Cheshire’s people, economy and landscape.
- Anderton Boat Lift
When you arrive, enjoy a soup and sandwich lunch. Afterwards, sit back and relax as the boat hoists you between the Trent and Mersey Canal and the River Weaver before setting off on a relaxing cruise along the river
- Return taxi transfer to Northwich Station
After your river cruise, meet your pre-booked taxi to return to Northwich Station and catch the train back to Manchester.
- All daytrips by train are self-guided/ unescorted. Our representative will meet you at The Mill at Manchester Piccadilly station and provide you with all the information you need, including an itinerary, to use as a guide.
- Bookings can be made up until 20:00 the day before travel.